Constructed: 1910, Moran Shipbuilders Length: 160.3 Feet Beam: 32 feet Draft:20.7 feet 926 tons Propulsion:
One triple expansion steam engine, developing 1,100 Hp 16 knots
Above: the steamer Kulshan, tied up at Bellingham. Author's collection.
'The Moran Co. at Seattle completed a first-class
steel screw steamer, the Kulshan for the Seattle -
Bellingham service of the Puget Sound Navigation Co.,
replacing the Whatcom Of 926 tons, with dimensions of
160.3 x 32 x 20.7, the Kulshan was equipped with
triple-expansion engine (17, 28, 47V 2x36) with steam at
225 pounds working pressure from two ofl-fired water tube
boilers. The engine developed 1,100 horsepower. Her
contract speed of 13 knots was easily exceeded on her
four-hour continuous steaming trials, during which she
averaged 14.32 knots. Later in the month of August she
carried a grand excursion and basket picnic party from
Seattle to Port Ludlow to celebrate the 58th anniversary of
the establishment of the Puget Mill Co. there, then entering
the Bellingham route, which she maintained dependably for
almost twenty years. Her performance was a source of
pride to Puget Sound residents, for she was practically a
100% local product, much of the steel for her construction
having been rolled at the Irondale mill near Port
Her first master was Capt. John ("Red Jack") Ellsmore,
one of the pioneer Sound captains, who had commanded
the old stern-wheeler State of Washingtorn both under
Pacific Navigation Co. and Puget Sound Navigation Co.
ownership. A second steel passenger steamer, Sioux, was
launched at Moran's on December 31, going into service
early in 1911."-- Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1910,"
H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p.
The Kulshan held down the Seattle-Bellingham for
route for nearly her entire career, remaining on the route
until 1929. At that point auto traffic was already becoming
the main for of transport on Puget Sound, and the Kulshan
spent most of her time in lay-up, never working full time
Not viable as a candidate to be converted into a
ferry, the trim steamer was broken up for scrap in 1938.