|PRINCESS of NANAIMO
Built by Fairfield Co Ltd, Glasgow, Scotland
Length: 358' Beam: 62' Draft: 14' Tonnage: 6787
The 6,200-ton Canadian Pacific ferry Princess of Nanaimo overshot her Vancouver slip by 100 yards due to an engine room telegraph failure on the night of November 18 1953. She was left grounded with a 10-degree starboard list and her stern wedged between the C. P. R. wharf and the shore. None of the 119 passengers aboard at the time were injured and the vessel was freed by five harbor tugs the following day. Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1952-53," H.W.McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 591
The Princess of Nanaimo, made surplus by the entry of the provincial government into the ferry business, transferred to the East Coast for operation between St. John and Digby, Nova Scotia on the Bay of Fundy… the Princess Helene, which she replaced under the new name of Princess of Acadia. Ibid, events of 1963-64.
As the last moments of 1973 faded into darkness Dec. 31, a noted Canadian coastal passenger ship vanished into memory. On that date, the 6,787 gross tons Henry Osborne sailed from Saint John, New Brunswick bound for the breakers in Spain. Best known on the Pacific coast as Princess of Nanaimo, she was launched Sept. 14, 1950 by the Fairfield shipyard at Glasgow for Canadian Pacific. On completion, she sailed from Glasgow for Vancouver May 16, 1951. Making a quick passage on her trip out, she arrived at Victoria on June 11. A little later, on June 26, she arrived at CPR's Pier B, to be open to the public. The majority of her service under the CP house flag was on the regular Vancouver Nanimo run. Her life on this routine run was not uneventful. On Nov. 18, 1952 she went aground off Nanaimo. The Marine Digest. LII (January 12, 1974), p. 30.
The 358-foot former CPR coast ferry Princess of Nanaimo, in service on the East Coast for the past 11 years as Princess of Acadia and Henry Osborne, made her last voyage to a Spanish scrapyard. Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1974," H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest 1966 to 1975., p.164.