Official Number: 180894 Built by Yarrows, 1923 for CPR as Motor Princess. Gross tons: 428 Net tons:291 (final) Length: 153.0
Beam 43.5 Draft: 9.0 White Superior Single diesel engine, 1050 hp. Speed: 9 knots Passengers: 250 Cars: 40
The diesel ferry Motor Princess, designed by Capt. James Troup as the first vessel constructed for the C. P. R. as an auto ferry, was completed in 97 days and
launched by Yarrows Ltd. at Esquimalt, making her first trip between Sidney and Bellingham in late May. This wooden vessel with dimensions of 165 x 43.5 x 9
was rifted with twin screws and 600-horsepower McIntosh & Seymour diesel engines giving her a service speed of 14 knots, and had a capacity of 40
automobiles. Gordon Newell, Maritime Events of 1923, H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest, p. 339.
The Canadian Pacific motor ferry Motor Princess, built in 1923 for the Bellingham-Sidney run and later operated between Sidney and Steveston until her
retirement in 1950, was rebuilt at Victoria in 1952 as a freighter for nightly service between Vancouver and Victoria. Gordon Newell, Maritime Events of 1952-53,
H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle: Superior Publishing Company, 1966 p. 585.
|1955: Sold to Gulf Island Ferry Company, rebuilt with steel passenger
cabin and open car deck.
1961: Sold to B.C. Ferries and renamed Pender Queen.
Retired in 1980; used as a fish camp; sank in Naden Harbour, Graham
Island, June 24th, 2003. Raised and broken up, August 2003.