Built by: Bow, McLachlan & Co. Ltd., Paisley, Scotland
Length: 248 Beam: 40' Draft: 14' Tonnage: 2155
The arrival of the Princess Alice was preceded in December by that of the smaller Princess Mary in mid-February 1911. The Mary commanded by CH Oxlade, regular master of the Empress of India was 80 days on the passage from Glasgow, where she was built by Bow-McLachlan & Co., to San Francisco, where she took on bunker oil, having made previous feuiling stops at Montevideo, Coronel and Callao. Upon her arrival she was placed upon the Victoria-Comox route, relieving the steamer City of Nanaimo, which was subsequently sold to the Terminal Steam Navigation Co and renamed Bowena. Gordon Newell, The HW McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest, page 182.
The Princess Mary of 1910 was extensively rebuilt by Yarrow's yard at Esquimalt, her tonnage being increased from 1,697 to 2,155, and her dimensions from 210 x 39.7 x 16 to 248.4 x 40.1 x 14. Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1914," H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p.241.
Princess Mary and Princess Victoria, C. P. R. coastal steamers, sold for dismantling and their hulls converted to cargo barges. The upperworks of the Princess Mary were moved ashore by the Island Tug & Barge Co. adjacent to their Victoria wharf and offices and converted into one of the Pacific Northwest's best known waterfront restaurants. Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1952-53," H.W.McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle :Superior Publishing Company, 1966., p. 588.
1952: Stripped to hull, sold to Union Steamship Company and used as barge as Bulk Carrier #2
1954: Bulk Carrier # 2 sinks
2006-7 Princess Mary Restaurant (with numerous unrelated additions) closes.
2011: Remains of the Princess Mary Restaurant dismanlted.