Built by Fairfiled Co. Ltd, Glasgow, Scotland
Length: 290' Beam:46' Depth: 15' Tonnage: 3061
The Canadian Pacific Railway added the steel, singlescrew, single-stack passenger steamer Princess Adelaide to its coastal fleet in 1910, the vessel arriving from the Fairfield yard at Govan (Glasgow) early in December in charge of Capt. A. A. Lingren, with R. Esdale, chief officer, H. A. Moore, second officer, J. Cockton, third officer, and Thomas Moffatt, chief engineer. She and her sister ship, Princess Alice, which arrived the following year, were designed for economy of operation with reasonable speed, and the Adelaide performed admirably on the outward voyage, averaging 1 1 1/2 knots on 24 tons of coal a day, using only two of her four boilers. During her trials she achieved a maximum speed of 18 1/2 knots. Of 3,061 tons, her dimensions were 290.5 x 46.1 x 15, with four-cylinder triple expansion engine 27, 42, 48, 48 x 39. She was finished throughout in natural woods, having a large dining salon seating 150, as well as grill room and cafe accommodating another 100. Her staterooms numbered 118, all fitted with hot and cold running water, portable heaters, electric reading lamps and plate glass windows. Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1910," H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 172-73.
The Princess Adelaide, having arrived in the Northwest late the 1910, had the misfortune to go ashore at Appletree Cove on Puget Sound during a blinding snow storm on her maiden voyage in passenger service on January 31, 1911, while en route from Victoria and Vancouver for Seattle, but she suffered no damage and continued in service. Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1911," H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 182.
The steamship Princess Adelaide was withdrawn from the Vancouver - Ocean Falls - Prince Rupert service in the fall and laid up pending her sale. Gordon Newell, "Maritime events of 1948," H.W.McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle :Superior Publishing Company, 1966., p. 555.
Three well-known steamships of the Canadian Pacific B. C.Coastal Service, Princess Charlotte, Princess Adelaide and Princess Alice, were sold to Typaldos Bros. Steamship Co. of Piraeus, Greece. The Adelaide, less altered in appearance, became the Angelika and was operated from Brindisi, Italy to Piraeus (the port of Athens) and Candia in Crete, carrying 187 first-class passengers, 100 second class, 83 tourist and 250 deck passengers. Gordon Newell, "Maritime events of 1949," H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle: Superior Publishing Company, 1966.,p. 562.
Thousands of miles from the Pacific Northwest waters which had known her in earlier years, the former Canadian Pacific coastal liner Princess Adelaide was withdrawn from service as the Greek Angelika and sold for scrapping, but was wrecked on the Italian coast while bound for Spezia. The Glasgow-built steamship of 1910 was sold in 1949, with the Princess Alice, to Typaldos Brothers of Piraeus and ran for 16 years as the principal mail and passenger vessel between Pireaus and Crete. Gordon Newell, "Maritime Events of 1968," H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest 1966 to 1975, p.44.