Former Name: Sioux 461 tons.  Length: 148'3" Beam: 24' 2" Draft 14' 8" , Propulsion: one  four - cylinder triple - expansion engine Horsepower: 1,400
FINAL DISPOSITION: Sold to Suriname (then Dutch Guiana.)  Beyond that, unknown.

Leaving Port Angeles for another trip to Victoria, the steam powered car ferry Olympic pulls out of the harbor. She would take the day runs directly from Port Angeles to Victoria while the
Iroquois would take the "Night Run" to Victoria from Seattle via Port Townsend and Port Angeles.  Courtesy of Tom Sanislo, color by Nevermore Images.
The ferry Coho now plies a route that has been in service for well over 100
years.  While memories of the
Kalakala, the Chinook or even the Iroquois are still
in the minds of some when the Port Angeles-Victoria route is mentioned, few
remember the

Puget Sound Navigation was still reeling from the worst maritime disaster on Puget
Sound. The  loss of the S.S.
Clallam took with it  54 people  when it foundered  in
a storm in the Strait of Juan de Fuca between Port Townsend and  Victoria.  Not
one woman or child aboard survived the sinking, and the loss prompted PSN to
cease building any more steamers constructed of wood.

One of the first steel steamers built after the  
Clallam disaster was the Sioux. Built
in 1910 at Seattle Construction and Drydock, the vessel ran between Seattle,
Irondale and Port Townsend at first, but was later moved to Everett, Port Angeles
and other ports around the Sound.

Like many of the other Black Ball steamers, the
Sioux was about to change her
carrying duties. She was sent into the yard to undergo conversion to carry autos.  
However, unlike many of her contemporaries the
Sioux would retain much of her
original look.  With the exception of new side and bow doors, the
Sioux, which
emerged in 1924  as the
Olympic, still retained her sharp-looking steamer lines.  
PSN placed her on the Bellingham-Victoria run first, and when that run was
discontinued the moved her over to the Port Angeles-Victoria run, where she
sailed successfully  until 1941.

For nearly two decades the lovely steamer carried passengers and cars to and
from Victoria to Port Angeles during the day as a direct route while the Iroquois
carried on as the night ferry from Seattle, Port Townsend, Port Angeles and

PSN sold her to the U.S. Army Transport service.  They changed her name to
Franklin R. Leisenburg
and was sent to Dutch Guiana (Suriname) for use on the
Suriname River.  As of the late 1950's, the old
Olympic ex Sioux was still in
service, steaming up and down the Suriname River.  Her whereabouts at this time
are unknown, but if you have any information about the old steamer, feel free to


Above, the Olympic at dock.  Below, the Olympic making a landing at Port Angeles. Even
with  the modifications to her bow, the
Olympic still retained her graceful lines.

Top, author's collection, below, courtesy of Tom Sanislo, color by Nevermore Images.
A wild ride for the Sioux...
 "An engine room error resulted in the Puget Sound Navigation Company's steel
Sioux running wild at Everett on August 16, 1912, and seriously depleting
the local mosquito fleet.
Sioux, on her way from Seattle, was coming into the wharf at Everett and Capt.
William Thornton had telegraphed the engine room for half speed astern. The
engines were set at half speed ahead instead, and the steamer plowed into the
dock. As she rebounded from the impact, Capt. Thornton sent an urgent signal to
the engine room for full speed astern. This time she surged ahead at full speed,
striking the Island Transportation Co. steamer
Camano near the stern with such
force that the moored steamer careened forward, striking George Sailing's 75-foot
Everett-Mukilteo launch
Island Flyer and J. H. Prather's new Everett- Holmes Harbor
Alverene, sinking the former and seriously damaging the latter. The
Camano, her hull torn open, then sank alongside the dock. The 40-foot charter
launch Ranger of 0. C. Peck was less seriously damaged in the melee, as was the
70-foot Tacoma launch
Daphne, under charter to George Sailing, but C. C. Hester's
26 -foot launch
Arrow was reduced to kindling. The ensuing inquiry revealed that an
oiler had been left in charge of the engines at the time of the accident. Again there
was no loss of life, although a deckhand on the
Camano, William McGee, barely
escaped from the lower deck aft, reaching safety as the bow of the
Sioux plowed
through the exact spot where he had been standing.
Gordon Newell, "Maritime
Events of 1912," H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 209.