Name: Defiance Official Number: 226366 Vessel Call Sign: WE8648 Length: 165' Width: 50' Draft: 13' Gross Weight: 444 Net Weight: -295; Propulsion: 2
Fairbanks Morse diesel engines: Autos: 32 cars Passengers: 300. Name taken from Point Defiance, where the ferry originally worked.
The Defiance sails into Keystone Harbor. Whistle of the Defiance sounded by Captain Oscar Lee. The Defiance and Skansonia both had steam whistles,
along with air whistles.
At top left, , the Defiance as she looked as built, making a landing a Gig Harbor.
Left, the summer of 1974 found the Defiance, her bow modified, working as a fish
processor. Bottom photo courtesy of David A. Ruble.
...but ugly. The tidy little Defiance was completely disfigured for use as a
dogfish processor. This clipping gives a closer view of the image captured
by David Ruble above, which shows just how clunky looking the Defiance
had become. Author's collection.
Washington State Ferries inherited the route from Port Townsend to tricky
Keystone Harbor when Olympic Ferries Inc, who'd been operating the route
since 1947, went out of business and ended service in the fall of 1973. The
Governor stepped in and ordered WSF to take up the route, and in June, 1974
service began with the ferry Olympic.
Olympic Ferries had been operating the ferry San Diego on the route for the
previous few years, since purchasing the vessel from the defunct San
Diego-Coronado Ferry Company which closed its doors in 1969 after the
opening of the Coronado Bridge. Prior to the San Diego taking the over the
run, Olympic had been operating their only other ferry--the all wood Defiance,
near sister to the Skansonia.
Built in 1927 by the Skansie Brothers Shipyard in Gig Harbor, Washington, the
diesel ferry had first operated from Point Defiance (which is where she got her
name) to Point Fosdick and Gig Harbor on the Kitsap Peninsula. Operated by
the Washington Navigation Company, which also owned the Skansonia, City of
Tacoma, Wollochet and a number of smaller vessels, the ferry worked the
southern arm of Puget Sound until the opening of Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
The ferries were idled until the bridge collapsed, but by that time the
Washington Navigation Company was a memory. The ferries were leased from
the Skansies by the Washington Toll Bridge Authority and went back to work
on the route. With second Tacoma Narrows Bridge opening in 1949 the ferries
were idled for good.
The Port Townsend-Keystone run, which had been abandoned by Black Ball in
1943, was sold to Olympic Ferries Inc in 1947 which started service with
another former Skansie ferry--the 18 car Fox Island.
Looking to improve service, Olympic Ferries purchased the Defiance in the
early 1950's. The Fox Island was then sold to the Gulf Island Ferry Company
in British Columbia. From then on, in the summer months the Defiance made
the crossing from Keystone to Port Townsend, running profitably for many
years. In the mid 1950's she also made freight trips into Seattle,
supplementing the service of the Iroquois.
By 1970 Olympic Ferries Inc was looking to replace the Defiance with a vessel
that wasn't going to be as costly to maintain. The San Diego seemed to be the
perfect choice so they purchased the ferry and brought her up from San Diego
and sold the Defiance.
The Defiance did not end her career there. She was converted into a
self-propelled dogfish processor and could be seen roaming around the Sound
for several years. She did eventually move to Alaska, and was last
homeported in Juneau. The Coast Guard has a record of her, but lists her as
"out of service" as of 2006.
If you have any memories or further information on the old Defiance, please
feel free to email me!