Official Number: 204997,  Length:160', Beam: 42.5',  Draft: 10.1',  Propulsion: steam, 600 HP  Built: 1908.
YHB-4 and YTD-8 while in service for the U.S. Navy.
Few people today remember that at one time the only way to cross Lake
Washington was by ferry.

Information on the
Lincoln is scant.  Her years on Lake Washington seem
to have been uneventful, though she did create solid memories for at least
one passenger, Mr. Paul Gilmore who was kind enough to share his
recollections: "I remember being on the
Lincoln and my Dad taking me by
the hand and looking down from the car deck at the engine room and being
told the larger cylinder of the triple expansion steam engine was six feet in

Built in 1914, the steam-powered ferry could handle about 45 cars. Unlike
the paddle-wheel
Leschi, built a year earlier, she was driven by single
propellers at either end of the boat. With her large yellow stack belching
black smoke, for the next 30 years she plied the waters of Lake
Washington under heavily subsidized ownership from King County.

By 1940 she was out of work.  The
Leschi continued on at Madison Park,
but the new bridge idled the
Lincoln. The next time the Lincoln saw use it
was under remarkably different conditions.

In the late 1940's it became increasingly clear that the State of Washington
was going to get into the ferry business one way or the other. Captain
Peabody had outfoxed the state after they'd revoked his franchise license
to operate on Puget Sound by setting up a county-by-county charter
service instead.  Only one group rebuked Peabody's efforts: Vashon Island.

Creating their own ferry district in 1948, the dilapidated
Lincoln was
brushed off and placed in service between Vashon and Fauntleroy.

Passengers boarding the
Lincoln were painfully aware the ferry had seen
better days:  daylight glistened through walls and floorboards. The foaming
waters of Puget Sound could be seen through cracks in the deck. However,
she provided a much-needed service and performed admirably despite her
advanced age. She was replaced by the
Crosline as soon as that ferry had
been reconditioned and rebuilt into a double-ender.

Three years later it was all over. Washington State Ferries began
operations on June 1, 1951, and with their formation more suitable boats
were assigned to the route.

The venerable
Lincoln, which was listed as part of the assets of
Washington State Ferries in 1951, was never put into service again. WSF
sold her as early as the fall of 1951, reportedly for scrap.  The Seattle
Times posted a photo in 1952 with the caption that the ferry was being
converted for a cannery in Alaska. After this point, the history of the
fades into obscurity, with no real concrete listing on what became of her.
Ferryboats: A Legend on Puget Sound lists her as abandoned in 1957;
others list her has having been scrapped sometime in the 1950's.

What is certain, the old ferry was quickly forgotten.  Even today, few people
remember the old
Lincoln, a ferry that had once been a familiar sight on
Lake Washington.
For not a lot being out there on the old ferry, she appeared in quite a few postcards.  Here
she's seen at dock on Lake Washington, about to take on more passengers.  Author's
BUILT: 1914, Lake Washington Shipyard, Houghton, WA, for King County on Lake Washington
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 212845  L/B/D: 147x 43 x 13, GROSS/NET TONS: 580/394 PASSENGERS/AUTOS: ?/32 cars
PROPULSION:  Steam powered, 800 hp. NAME TRANSLATION: named for President Lincoln
FINAL DISPOSITION: Converted into a barge in 1955 by the Pacific Pearl Company of Alaska.  Out of documentation as of 1957, and likely scrapped at that

The Lincoln, late in her career, working the Fauntleroy route.  The Klahanie appears in the background.  Captain Raymond W Hughes Jr. collection, color by
Nevermore Images.
Even less remembered is the old steam ferry Washington, which
started life on Lake Washington as a passenger vessel in 1908.

In 1919, with the
Lincoln and Leschi carrying most of the traffic
across the Lake, the converted
Washington was assigned to the
Vashon-Fauntleroy route about 1923 after the
Robert Bridges
had been rebuilt as the
Mount Vernon and assigned to the
Anacortes-Sidney run.

Kitsap County Transportation Company took over the
Fauntleroy-Vashon route in 1925, assigning the brand-new
Kitsap to the route, which returned the Washington to Lake
Washington and King County.

The vessel was used primarily for excursions from that point on.  
Washington could be found steaming down to Olympia, up
and down Hood Canal, and all over Puget Sound.

With the bridge opening on Lake Washington, (1940) the ferry
was sold to Neider and Marcus, Seattle junk dealers who
removed her boilers and machinery.

During the war, the Washington became the
YHB-4, a barracks
ship for the navy. After being discharged from that duty, she
ended her days on the Lake Washington Ship Canal at the foot
of Ewing Street, where she remained as late as 1967.

What happened to her after that is not known, but at some point
she has to have been scrapped.

Any information you might want to share about the either the
Lincoln or Washington, please feel free to email me.
The Lincoln was a favorite subject of J. Boyd Ellis, photographer and postcard maker from
Arlington.  Some of the best photographs left in existence of the old vessel were taken by
Ellis.  Author's collection, color by Nevermore Images.