The Bainbridge was part of a trio of modern, all-wood ferries built
for Captain Anderson's Kitsap County Transportation Company.
She was the middle sister of the three, built in 1928. Her slightly
smaller sister Kitsap had been constructed in 1925 and younger,
larger sibling Vashon in 1930.
Originally she served her namesake Island, sailing between
Port Blakely and Seattle, but after KCTC folded and PSN took over
operations, the vessel shifted her route, often working alongside
the Kitsap at Columbia Beach or with the Vashon at Vashon Island.
Captain Peabody retained the Bainbridge and a few other
vessels after the sale of the rest of the fleet to the State of
Washington for service in his new operations in British Columbia,
at which time the Bainbridge was sent to the Yarrows Shipyard to
be rebuilt and modernized for Canadian regulations. She
emerged looking pretty much the same, but her square windows
on the car deck had been replaced with a neat row of portholes,
improving her looks somewhat. Once out of the yard, she was
placed in service at Horseshoe Bay, sailing to Gibson's and Earl's
The Jervis Queen near the end of her career in 1966 . Author's collection.
Later Names: Jervis Queen, BCP #30. Official Number: 194368 Built: Lake Washington Shipyard, Houghton, 1928. Retired: 1966.
Length: 186' 3" Beam: 55' 2" Draft: 14' 7" Autos: 90 (1928 ) 45 (1950's)
Passengers: 600 Propulsion: 850 Horsepower Washington Estep Diesel. Speed : 10 knots
Named for Bainbridge Island.
The Bainbridge as she looked when new, working for her builders, the Kitsap County Transportation Company.
The Bainbridge was included with the sale of the terminals and all other assets of Black
Ball to B.C. Ferries in 1961. She kept her same route, but was repainted in the pastel blue
and white of B.C. Ferries. In 1963 she was renamed the Jervis Queen and was placed on
the Earl Cove-Saltry Bay run. In 1964 she went back to the United States--just for routine
maintenance at Lake Union Drydock. She returned to service, and toward the end of her
career was working the Horseshoe Bay- Bowen Island run. By this time, the small all-wood
vessel was becoming a liability. B.C. Ferries soon found out what a headache wooden
construction could be: her hull required expensive caulking, and her timbers were subject
to dryrot and needed frequent replacing.
At the time, with the lack of vessels the old Puget Sounder was still needed. She was
patched up as best as possible. Mechanically, her Washington Estep Diesels were very
sound, something that could not be said about the much younger but steam-powered
Smokwa. Still, by 1966 B.C. Ferries had enough new ferries on the water that the Jevis
Queen could be surplused. She was sold that same year to B.C. Packers, Ltd. and
renamed BCP #30.
B.C. Packers used her as a floating bunkhouse for the company's oyster seed
operation. She was towed up to Pendrell Sound in the spring and south the Fraser River
each autumn for a number of years. At somepoint she became abandoned, and for years
she was moored on the river, rotting away.
In 1986 her sodden hull could no longer keep water out. She sank on the spot. After
efforts were made to pump her out failed, a floating barge was brought in to remove the
hulk, sawingit up and loading the half-rotten timbers onto a barge. The remains of the
once-faithful little Bainbridge were towed away and disposed of by burning.