The Bainbridge was part of a trio of modern, all-wood ferries built
for Captain Anderson's Kitsap County Transportation Company.  
Bainbridge was the middle sister of the three,  built in 1928.  The  
slightly smaller sister
Kitsap had been constructed in 1925 and  
younger, larger  sibling
Vashon in 1930.

Originally the ferry served her namesake Island, sailing between
Port Blakely and Seattle, but after KCTC folded and PSN took over
operations,  the vessel shifted her route, often working alongside
Kitsap at Columbia Beach or with the Vashon at Vashon Island.

Captain Peabody retained the
Bainbridge and a few other vessels
after the sale of the rest of the fleet to the State of Washington for
service in his new operations in British Columbia, at which time the
Bainbridge was sent to the Yarrows Shipyard to be rebuilt and
modernized for Canadian regulations.   She emerged looking
pretty much the same, but her square windows on the car deck
had been replaced with a neat row of portholes, improving her
looks somewhat.   Once out of the yard, she was  placed in service
at Horseshoe Bay, sailing to Gibson's and Earl's Cove.
The Jervis Queen near the end of her career in 1966 . Author's collection.
Later Names: Jervis Queen, BCP #30.  Official Number: 194368  Built: Lake Washington Shipyard, Houghton, 1928.  Retired: 1966.
Length: 186' 3" Beam: 55' 2" Draft: 14' 7"  Autos: 90 (1928 ) 45 (1950's)
Passengers: 600  Propulsion: 850 Horsepower Washington Estep Diesel.  Speed : 10 knots
Named for Bainbridge Island.

The Bainbridge sailing into Horseshoe Bay in the 50's.  Below, as she looked when new, working of KCTC. Author's collection.
The  Bainbridge was included with the sale of the terminals and all
other assets of Black Ball to B.C. Ferries in 1961.  She kept her
same route, but was repainted in the pastel blue and white of B.C.
Ferries.  In 1963 she was renamed the
Jervis Queen and was
placed on the Earl Cove-Saltry Bay run.    In 1964 she went back
to the United States--just for routine maintenance at Lake Union
Drydock.  She returned to service, and toward the end of her
career was working the Horseshoe Bay- Bowen Island run.  By this
time, the small all-wood vessel was becoming a liability.  B.C.
Ferries soon found out what a headache wooden construction
could be:  her hull required expensive caulking, and her timbers
were subject to dryrot and needed frequent replacing.
At the time, with the  lack of vessels the old Puget Sounder was
still needed.  She was patched up as best as possible.  
Mechanically, her Washington Estep Diesels were very sound,
something that could not be said about the much younger but
Smokwa.  Still, by 1966 B.C. Ferries had enough
new ferries on the water that the
Jevis Queen could be surplused.  
She was sold that same year to B.C. Packers, Ltd. and renamed
BCP #30.

B.C. Packers used her as a floating bunkhouse for the company's
oyster seed operation.  She was towed up to Pendrell Sound in
the spring and south the Fraser River each autumn for a number
of years.  At some point she became abandoned, and for years
she was moored on the river, rotting away.        

In  1986 her sodden hull could no longer keep water out.  She
sank on the spot. After efforts were made to pump her out failed, a
floating barge was brought in to remove the hulk, sawing it up and
loading the half-rotten timbers onto a barge.  The remains of the
once-faithful little  
Bainbridge were towed away burned, ending a
long and interesting career.
Sunk like her sisters...

None of the three Anderson boats had a happy ending.
Kitsap sank in Alaska in 1966 in deep water; the Vashon went
aground in Johnson Cove in Alaska and, much like the
here, rolled over and sank.

It's a rather sad ending to a trio of vessels that helped to
modernize transportation on the Salish Sea.