|OFFICIAL NUMBER: 230078 VESSEL BUILT: 1930 as Relief for the Washington Navigation Company. LENGTH: 93.2 BEAM: 38.0 DEPTH: 11.8 GROSS/NET TONNAGE: 211/179
HISTORY: Built in 1930 for the Tacoma-Gig Harbor routes, the gasoline powered Relief was named with that exact designation in mind--to be a relief vessel for the rest of the ferries in the
Washington Navigation fleet. Two years later, in 1932, the vessel was stripped down to the hull, had a new house built, was re-engined as a diesel and was renamed Vashonia.
In 1943 the vessel was picked up by the Kitsap County Transportation Company, which had been operating as a subsidiary but separate corporation, though wholly owned by the Puget
Sound Navigation Company (Black Ball Line) since 1935. A year later, in 1944, Black Ball finally dissolved the subsidiary corporation and absorbed the entire KCTC fleet. The Vashonia,
along with the other KCTC vessels were repainted in Black Ball Colors.
FINAL DISPOSITION: Scrapped 1951
Photos courtesy of the Captain Raymond W. Hughes Collection.